ActiveSync and Firewalls
I’ve been using ActiveSync for over a year on my work PC and suddenly before XMas it stopped working. Initially I didn’t think much of it, it was the silly season after all. Today ActiveSync showed a screen I had not seen before and I let it try and figure out what the problem was as I was getting a bit peefed that I could not sync my mobile any more. It finally redirected me to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/help/synchronize/activesync-usb.mspx and then the little light bulb in my head switched itself on. The infrastructure guys have changed the global policy with regards to the Windows Firewall that has given me grief over the last month or so. I asked them to allow ActiveSync through and now everything is happily syncing.